Melbourne Day Trips – What are the Options?
Melbourne is a large, beautiful city with a lot to offer. Those who have ample vacation time may want to spend longer than a day enjoying this city and all that it has to offer. However, even those who are visiting the city for only a day can still enjoy a day trip to the city and see some of the most scenic sites in the city while there. There are a number of companies that specialize in offering Melbourne day trips and some of the many trip destinations include
- Great Ocean Road
- The Twelve Apostles
- Puffing Billy
- Phillip Island
- Ballarat and Sovereign Hill
- Mornington Peninsula
- Daylesford and The Macedon Ranges
- Otway Fly
Of course, there are just a few of the places where these day trips will take you.
On my end, I decided to try out the three different day tours that these companies have to offer. Take note that this was not an easy feat because of monetary reasons, but I did it for my dear readers.
- I tried the bus tour, which is the most affordable and most popular day tour package offered by the majority of these companies. I like these tours because they’re affordable and you will be accompanied by a tour guide who will shed some light on the sights. The only downside here is that the tours adhere to a strict schedule, so you can’t stay at a place for too long.
- Charter tours are next on the list, which are pricier than the bus tour, but all for the right reasons. First, they are more flexible because you can choose when you want to go to a particular place and how long you can stay in a particular spot. If you are keen on exploring every nook and cranny, you may as well get this one.
- The limousine or private vehicle bookings are the most expensive Melbourne day trip tour packages that one can find. These packages are usually availed by honeymooners or people who love some privacy when they’re touring Melbourne. While limousines were too fancy for me, I opted for a private vehicle booking. The tour company hesitated because every car was reserved, but thankfully, someone cancelled at the last minute, so a slot was free. According to them, they never cater to walk-in bookings because reservations are always made months in advance. Talk about charging to experience.
In conclusion, I highly recommend charter tours. They’re a bit expensive, but you can get the most out of your money.
How to Get the Best Possible Price
Booking a tour well in advance is always a good idea. Many tour companies offer special deals for those who book ahead of time. It is also not uncommon for a particular tour to be completely booked well ahead of the tour date, so one will want to keep this in mind when planning a day trip and make reservations ahead of time.
Comparing prices between various companies is also a good idea. The cost of a tour depends not only on the places one visits and the type of vehicle used but also on the tour company. However, it is also important to note the details of what is included in the tour package before booking, as this will help one avoid unpleasant surprises.
Melbourne day trips may be short but they can be very enjoyable if properly planned. A person planning on taking such a trip should first of all consider which form of transport would be the most suitable. One will then want to make the reservation well in advance to ensure that he or she gets the best possible price.